Wat Chai Watthanaram
Wat Chai Watthanaram was built in 1630 A.D. as a royal monastery by King Prasatthong. It is built in a Cambodian style, and was probably a commemorative to the King's victory over Cambodia. The wat has a main prang or chedi (see the photo at left) surrounded by 4 lesser prangs, and these surrounded by another 8 still smaller prangs and a gallery (or cloister). The gallery contained 120 gilded Buddha images. The entire wat was highly decorated with murals inside and stucco relief images outside. The structure looks very much like a smaller version of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
The wat was continuously occupied and used as a royal facility until the destruction of the city in 1767 by the Burmese. The temple, and the city, were looted; the Buddha images were decapitated, and the bricks were taken for other uses. The main chedi was restored in the 1980's.
We found this to be the most interesting of the many ruins we visited in Ayutthaya. Here are some more photos of Wat Chai Watthanaram: